What are the advantages of wallpaper home design? Which model to choose according to the parts? At what price ? In six points, here is the practical information to know before lining your walls.
The different types of wallpaper home design
There are four types of wallpaper;
- The so-called traditional wallpaper. It is one of the least thick, so that it is used mainly in rooms or living rooms where there is little passage.
- Vinyl wallpaper. Its advantage: a thin layer of PVC, which makes it waterproof. It is therefore particularly suitable for wet rooms (kitchen, bathrooms) or messy rooms, such as children’s rooms. Brushable and washable, these wallpapers are easily cleaned with a simple sponge a little wet.
- The expanded wallpaper. Often embossed or embossed, it is particularly distinguished by its thickness and the effects of material that can offer your walls.
The non-woven, consisting of two layers of paper, one with patterns and one already glued. Particularly thick, it offers the advantage of not having to be glued beforehand.
What wallpaper home design for which room?
A priori, yes, provided you choose the right type. In damp rooms, you have no choice: you absolutely need vinyl, resistant to moisture.
In rooms exposed to a strong passage, avoid paper too fine traditional type. In the same way, if your wall is not perfectly regular, it is better to avoid too fine papers. However, the use of a non-woven or expanded, both very thick, can erase differences in levels and create harmonious walls.
Colors and patterns of the wallpaper home design
If it erases the imperfections of the walls, the wallpaper also has the advantage of allowing us to modify our perception of light and space. You can thus play on the exposure of a piece. For example, a room facing north, rather dark, can be enhanced by warm colors.
To play on the dimensions, opt for striped paper. Vertical stripes, for example, give the impression of a greater height under ceiling. Finally, know that big reasons can be sweltering in a room, especially if it is small. In any case, it is better to avoid the total look and to alternate the large patterned ones with plain ones to lighten the visual effect.
Choose a plain wallpaper home design, easy to install
If you have never put wallpaper, the best is to opt for a plain paper or false-uni, which will save you the problem of the connections. Then choose non-woven paper. If it is a little more expensive to buy (about 20%), it has the advantage of not needing to be glued. You simply glue the wall and then put the paper directly. This saves you time (30% of total time required for installation) but also money, since you no longer need to rent a table to upholster.
wallpaper home design prices
While price differentials are sometimes considerable from one model to another, wallpaper is generally a reasonable option. The cheapest models are available from 2 dollars while high-end papers can climb up to 500 dollars per roll! However, the offer diversifies a lot in recent years, you can find original papers from 6 dollars roll and designer paper around 50 dollars per roll.
Calculate the number of rolls of wallpaper home design
- To begin, measure the perimeter of the room by adding the two lengths and the two widths (without deducting openings, such as doors or windows).
- Multiply this number by two to get the number of tiles.
- If your room has a ceiling height less than or equal to 2.50 meters, simply divide the number of tiles by four to obtain the number of rolls needed. Be careful, this only works for plain paper.
- If your paper has patterns, and therefore will require fittings, divide the number of pieces by only three.
Easier still, use our deco calculators to find, very quickly, the number of rolls you need. In any case, a little advice: always buy too many rolls rather than not enough. This will allow you to correct the shot, after any nonsense